Friday, December 5, 2014

Ukraine and Russia Final Blogpost

Over the course of the semester our group covered the initial Maidan protests, and the civil war that subsequently erupted in Eastern Ukraine as a result of the Revolution. It isn't until now that Ukrainians began questioning their ethnicity, only recently Ukrainians had gained independence after the fall of the Soviet Union. And many across Ukraine especially in Eastern Ukraine were prompted with, "Are we Ukrainian or are we Russian?" For years this question wasn't brought up in a serious discussion, both Ukrainian and Russian are very similar languages almost identical so the language and it's people were able to co-exist. Now the hand has been forced and many people who viewed each other as countrymen have been divided. Our group has covered the result of this divide, from MH17 to Russia's involvement.

Researching our topic for me was quite easy, I follow the conflict in Eastern Ukraine almost daily. So I'm always up to date on whats happened and what the situation is. Also, coming from another Eastern European country that was under the control of the Soviet Union, seeing what Ukraine looks like wasn't foreign to me at all. Essentially I didn't feel alienated because the culture and the lifestyles were very familiar to me. By knowing a lot already I didn't have to re-read or get a history lesson or context on the issue so it was quite easy to read an article and not feel overwhelmed. This made research a lot more easier and I was able to speed the process up with the blogposts.

By working on this topic I was able to learn a lot more in depth about the conflict, for instance I watched countless hours of footage from both sides of the conflict and was able to get a feeling of what life was like for both sides. Working in a group was helpful and I had fun while doing it. I liked being able to work with people and create nice blogs and having a lot of information on there. Every blog was like a kid that we're sending to school, you want them to look cool so you try your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment