Saturday, December 6, 2014

ISIS: A Reflection

This semester, my group members and I researched the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). For our first blog post, we gave a general overview of ISIS and provided pertinent background information that would aid readers in understanding ISIS’ goals. In the second blog post, we analyzed the role of women in ISIS specifically the recruiting of women to the organization (often internationally). The third blog post dealt with ISIS’ finances. We discussed their sources of income, such as oil sales (from the stolen oil refineries) and extortion. Finally, our fourth blog post examined ISIS’ usage of social media to recruit potential soldiers as well as their war tactics (kidnapping and extortion primarily).

My group and I would discuss potential topic ideas and narrow it down to three related subjects. We would then assign two people to a topic, and they would then summarize and analyze each topic. I primarily researched my subject matter online, specifically sources like The Guardian and BBC as they provided more coverage and more detailed reporting compared to other news outlets. We shared our research and work on Google Docs. This was helpful as it allowed us to edit and communicate easily.


Beginning this semester, I had a very basic knowledge of ISIS and their motivations and international presence. However, having this opportunity to research and write on specific topics (like their online presence and the growing role of women) allowed me to analyze ISIS and their influence globally. I really enjoyed going in-depth and found ISIS, but also the Middle East, fascinating. This, in turn, prompted me to further research the Middle East, which eventually culminated in my changing my minor to Middle Eastern Studies. In relation to my group, I learned how to effectively manage my time and make sure my share of work was done in a timely fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment