Friday, December 5, 2014

Crisis in Ukraine Reflection


Throughout this semester my group members and I covered the ongoing crises between Ukraine and Russia. The coverage ranged from the cause of the protest to the shooting down of the MH17 plane.  We provided a summary of the events that happened in between as well. For example, we covered how Ukrainian president was split between joining the European Union or siding with Russia, this split between the country was one of the main causes for the beginning of the crises.  Russia then annexed Crimea, an island if the coast of Ukraine and tensions rose higher.  Russia and Ukraine agreed to a cease fire but that was quickly broken and several riots broke out shortly after. Another important thing that we talked about was the impact that Russia caused on the international economy due to the sanctions imposed against them. The international economy was affected because several countries had to stop importing and exporting goods to and from Russia. 
Finding information for our topic was rather easy due to the fact that it affected much of the world and because it was topic that was largely talked about. The way I conducted my research was quite simple. I would research websites such as CNN and BBC and read the stories that were written about it. Also, several of the events that followed the protest were heavily covered so the information was easy to find. Working with a group impacted the way I did my research because whenever I found something interesting I would share it with the rest of the group.
Working with a group was a nice experience because it meant that more people could research different aspects of the crises and still make the ideas relate to the general theme of what we were covering. It was also nice, because we were able to divide the work and save a lot of time. From working in a group I learned how to communicate with classmates better. As for the topic itself, I leaned so much. Before, I started to do research on the topic of Ukraine I only knew the basic summary of what was happening. Not only that but I knew these basic things because of what mainstream media was covering and mainstream media does not cover small details. They only report what they believe the audience would enjoy and therefore small details are usually left out.  However, doing this project made me learn more of the details such as why exactly things where happening. For example, I learned more about the Ukrainian soldiers and what they had to do in order to fight for what they believed in. In other words I learned more about the details that the mainstream media was not covering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment