Friday, December 5, 2014

Final Reflection: Colombia & Peace

Throughout this last semester, my group focused on the peace talks that are taking place in Colombia between the Colombian government and the FARC. Within the past few days, the Colombian general, who was held captive by the FARC, was released, and peace talks are to resume. When talking about the issues between the Colombian rebels and the government, the security of the Colombian citizens, the affect of drug trade, and its relation internationally all need to be factored in.
When researching for the blog posts, I found myself relying more on local papers and news outlets in Colombia, and on international news websites as a secondhand source. The more and more that I researched, the more I realized how little attention the United States pays to the happenings of Colombian politics. The news was rarely updated on a daily basis. I greatly enjoyed working with my group and being able to discuss what was going on in Colombia with them.
Overall I enjoyed working with my group and equally splitting the work between the five of us. There were never any issues when it came to designating tasks and getting work done. In relation to the events in Colombia themselves, I find it fascinating how quickly things can turn around, specifically the peace talks themselves.Taking the readings that we did in class and applying them to the case here, specifically in relation with legitamacy, really paid off and helped gain a better understanding of the onging events in Colombia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment